The ideal place to start - a Basic wine Course
WSET Level 1 Online Wine Course
Based in London, England
Recognized in over 70 countries
- Your online wine course will take 6 hours of online time (watching videos)
- and 11 hours for revision
- all to be completed in 4 weeks
- you’ll then write your exam at a time that’s convenient for you
- Learn how to describe 8 noble grape varieties and 16 wines from Europe in this basic wine course
- the essentials of red and white winemaking
- practice wine tasting technique
- introduction to food pairing and wine pairing
- how to serve wine and properly store wine
Included in your WSET online Wine Course Enrolment:
- 4-week access to all videos and exercises you can do at home
with a recommended list of wines for you to purchase.
- your WSET digital textbook
a full-year access to explore its valuable content at your leisure
- your exam
Flexibility is key! Enjoy the freedom to schedule your exam
at your convenience within 1 year of finishing the course.
Not to worry, I've got your back
and I'll check in with you and make sure we're on track!
- BONUS 3-year access to
SommWine's Ultimate Guide
a mobile-friendly database of over 300 questions to prepare you for your exam. It's also a great tool to refresh your memory after the course!
** Price does not include wines
Your WSET Level 1 Basic Wine Course Exam
Your WSET Level 1 Online Wine Course Exam
You’ll have 4 weeks to watch all videos, prepare and for revision. Then…
- you have 45 minutes
- 30 multiple choice questions
- there is no wine tasting in your Level 1 exam
- you must get 70% in order to pass the exam
during the exam, you’ll have access to an online chat function. This will connect you to an examiner who will help you to troubleshoot any issues
Exams may take anywhere from 4-8 weeks to get your results.
After you pass, you’ll get a coveted WSET Level 1 lapel pin you can wear with pride! We’ll also mail to you a wine tasting certificate signed by the President. Woot wooooot!!!
The Steps or How to's...
- Register for the class you want (classes start pretty much every 2 weeks)
- You’ll create a login when you pay. This gets you free access to SommWine’s Ultimate Guide in Level 1 in Wines for over 300 questions to prepare you for the exam. Simply login using the login button at the top right corner of this site.
- I’ll email you within 2 days with some information and to fill out the enrolment form.
- Then, WSET will invite you to join Canvas by email through a link. This is where you’ll communicate with your instructor, attend the online classroom and watch videos. I’ll also send you an access code to view your e-book through this link
- Go wine shopping! We’ll send you a ‘recommended wines to buy’ list in Canvas. Need help buying wines? Reach out to email@example.com. You’ll also be responsible for sending in wine tasting notes to your online wine course instructor.
- We’ll book your exam time together sometime after enrolment.
- We’ll book another time together for an online meeting. Here we’ll discuss and practice wine tasting technique or go over best studying practices. I’ll also be available to you whenever you need me! You can email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 10 days before your exam, you’ll be asked to do a systems check to ensure that everything runs smoothly on the day of your exam
The Steps for Your Online Wine Course
Kind words from kind humans...
I wouldn’t be a success without hardworking students such as these fine humans…
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTOR
How to set up
for a Remote Invigilation (RI) exam for online wine courses
There are 4 systems that we'll use for your course:
System 1 - Canvas; the WSET learning management system
- In Canvas, you can message your instructor, watch videos and complete wine tasting exercises.
- Keep the email invitation sent by WSET as it’s your best way to access your account. Otherwise, use this link.
System 2 - ebooks sign in
System 3 - your RI (remote invigilation exam) through ProctorExam
- You’ll need 2 devices to take your exam online; as in one laptop and 1 smart phone. For your laptop or primary device, you will need Windows 8 or higher or Mac OS X or previous releases, or Linux 64-bit Ubuntu 14.04+, Debian 8+, openSUSE 13.3+, or Fedora Linux 24+
- For your smart phone or secondary device, you will need Android 5.1 or higher or IOS 10.0 or higher.
- We’ll work out all the kinks with a systems check 10 days before your exam to make sure all is smooth on the day!
**Secondary devices not supported during your exam are the Google Pixel series, Huawei P30 series, Huawei Y9S and the Samsung Galaxy A3.
System 4 - Your login at the top right hand corner of this website!
- You’ll create a login with your email address and a password when you pay. Use this to access your FREE Ultimate Guide to this WSET basic wine course that will ensure you a ‘distinction’ grade!