WSET Level 1 Wine Course
Beginner Wine Course
We'll cover 8 grape varieties and 16 wines from European wine regions. So, get ready to prime your palate - as we'll also cover the basics of food pairing and wine pairing, how to store and serve wine and which glassware to use. We'll have 7 classroom hours to master the basics, practice wine tasting and sample some food. We'll even leave you thirsty for more!
Registration Deadline: August 31, 2023
Class is on September 14th
Exam is on the same day
Full day class from 8:45 am - 5:30 pm
Where: The Whistler Chamber of Commerce
201- 4230 Gateway Drive (take the elevator to the 2nd floor)
Cost: $599 CAD
Includes wines, your digital ebook, the exam for your wine course and FREE access to my Ultimate Guide to WSET Level 1 Wine Course - mobile-friendly quizzes to help you pass your exam !
How it works:
Gain access to your digital textbook a few days after payment. Plus, as soon as you pay, enjoy FREE entry to my
Ultimate Guide to WSET Level 1 in Wines—an invaluable mobile-friendly
database featuring 300+ multiple-choice and drag+drop questions.
Start studying right away!
We'll go over everything in class - taste wines, practice food + wine pairing
and take the exam at the end of the day
Class is from 8:45-5:30
September 14th, 2023
Deadline for registration: August 31st
You take your exam on the same day as the class !
Class starts 8:45
- What is wine
- Where the best places are for growing wine grapes
- How to make wine
- Wine types: still, sparkling, fortified, white, rosé, red
- Ways to describe wines: dry, medium, sweet, acidity, tannin, alcohol, body, fruit, oak, and more
Morning Break 10:00 – 10:15
- The good stuff – white wines! Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Gris, Riesling, Sancerre, Chablis, White Burgundy, Champagne
- Learn how to conduct a proper wine tasting using the SAT
Lunch 11:30 – 12:15 – pack a lunch and bring it with you!
- More good stuff! Words to describe: Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Syrah/ Shiraz, Burgundy, Bordeaux
- Wine tasting using the SAT
- Other wines: Prosecco, Cava, White Zinfandel, Beaujolais, Côtes du Rhône, Chianti, Rioja, Châteauneuf-du-Pape. Sauternes, Sherry, Port
- Check on learning
- How to properly store and serve wine
Afternoon Break 1:45 – 2:00
- Wine tasting using the SAT
- Food pairing and wine pairing
- Wine games
- Practice examinatiion
Last Break to Prepare the Room 4:15-4:30
Exam 4:30 – 5:30
Who is WSET Level 1 Basic Wine Course For
Level 1 is a great place to start
your wine journey!
WSET was originally created for people wanting a career in wine.
However, Level 1 is a good fit for anyone interested in learning more about wine. It’s a great place to start your wine journey!
Louis Pasteur, France
"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world."
Your WSET Level 1 Wine Course Exam
You’ll attend class for a day.
At the end of the day, you’ll write your exam…
- you have 45 minutes
- to answer 30 multiple choice questions
- you must get 70% in order to pass the exam
- you will not practice wine tasting in the Level 1 basic wine course exam
Exams are sent to London, England for marking and may take anywhere from 3-8 weeks to get your results.
Upon passing, you’ll receive the highly coveted WSET Level 1 lapel pin. Wear it with pride on your collar! You’ll also get a wine tasting certificate signed by WSET’s president upon passing!