Who is WSET Level 2 in Wines For?
Who is WSET Level 2 in Wines for?
- Your course will take 35-40 hours including videos, studying time and revision
- that’s 5-8 hours per week for 5 weeks
- Learn French wine labelling
- French varieties: Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, Syrah, Gamay Noir, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Viognier, Chenin Blanc, Sauvignon Blanc and famous regions that grow them
- Classic wine names such as Burgundy, Bordeaux, and Chablis
- Italian varieties of Sangiovese and classic names such as Chianti Classico and Brunello di Montalcino
- The German grape, Riesling
- winemaking: white, red, rosé, sparkling
- Cava, Champagne, Prosecco
- Gewurztraminer, Viognier, Carmenére, Malbec, Primitivo, Zinfandel
- proper glassware and serving temperatures
- introduction to food and wine pairing
- how to serve wine and properly store wine
- fortified wines of Port and Sherry
- famous sweet dessert wines such as Sauternes, Tokaji, Port and Sherry
- and much much more!
Included in your Enrolment:
5 weeks access -
to all videos,
and to exercises you can do at home
with a recommended wines to purchase list
12 months access -
to a pdf of the textbook and workbook
for WSET online
- register for the class you want (classes start pretty much every 2 weeks)
- You’ll create a login when you pay. This gets you into SommWine’s subscriber page and a free subscription to SommWine’s Ultimate Guide to WSET Level 1 where you can take quizzes and test your knowledge before class starts. It’s a great primer! Furthermore, I’ll also offer you a coupon to purchase SommWine’s Ultimate Guide to WSET Level 2 at a great price! You can access both the guide and the subscriber page using the login button on the top right menu of this website.
- I’ll email you within 3 days to touch base and introduce myself.
- Later, WSET will invite you to join Canvas through an email link. This is the WSET system where you will communicate with your instructor about assignments. It’s also where you will attend your online classroom and watch videos. You’ll also be given access codes so you can view your e-book (if you choose the e-book option) through this link. This will take a few days after enrollment.
- Go wine shopping! We’ll send you a recommended wines-to-buy list in Canvas
- We’ll book your exam time together after enrollment. Check out the video below to see how a remote exam takes place. WSET calls remote exams ‘remote invigilation’.
- We’ll book another time together for an online meeting. Here we’ll discuss and practice wine tasting technique. I’ll also be available to you whenever you need me! You can email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact me through Canvas.
- 10 days before your exam, you will receive an email from WSET with steps to conduct a systems check to ensure that everything runs smoothly on the day of your exam
You’ll have 5 weeks to watch all videos, to complete the exercises and for revision and notes. Then…
- 50 multiple choice questions
- you must get 55% in order to pass the exam
- 70-84% Pass with Merit
- 85% or more Pass with Distinction
- there is no wine tasting in your Level 2 exam
- during the exam, you’ll have access to an online chat function. This will connect you to an examiner who will help you to troubleshoot any issues
Exams may take anywhere from 3-8 weeks to get your results.
WSET Level 2 lapel pin and Certification mailed to you upon passing! woot wooooot!!!
Your WSET Level 2 Exam
How to set up
for a Remote Invigilation exam
- You will need one ‘primary’ device with a webcam and microphone to take your exam – like a laptop.
- Plus one extra ‘secondary’ device to record you taking the exam – like a smart phone or tablet. Watch the video to see how to set this up.
- You’ll also have access to an online chat function during your exam. This will connect you to an examiner to troubleshoot any issues.
- see below in Technical Requirements for more!
There are 3 systems that WSET uses to administer the full course.
System 1 - Canvas; the WSET learning management system
- You will be invited to join Canvas by WSET via email link. Keep this email as it is your best way to access your account. Otherwise, use this link.
- In Canvas, you can message your instructor, watch videos and complete wine tasting exercises and view flashcards.
- To access Canvas from your mobile device: Download the Canvas Student app from google play store or apple store.
- Then, from your computer or laptop, login to Canvas using your email link. Go to your ‘Account’ in the top left. Then, go to ‘QR for Mobile login’. Click ‘Proceed’.
- Finally, scan the QR code that has just been created on your computer using the Canvas Student app on your phone or tablet. Now, you can watch videos here too!
- You may check the canvas website for exact specifications here
You will only be able to access the videos for the duration of your 5-week Level 2 course
System 2 - ebooks sign in
You have 1 year access to your ebook and workbook.
System 3 - your RI (remote invigilation exam) through ProctorExam
- You will need 2 devices for your exam such as 1 laptop and 1 smart phone. For your laptop or primary device, you will need Windows 8 or higher or Mac OS X or previous releases, or Linux 64-bit Ubuntu 14.04+, Debian 8+, openSUSE 13.3+, or Fedora Linux 24+
- For your smart phone or secondary device, you will need Android 5.1 or higher or IOS 10.0 or higher. You’ll have to download the ProctorExam app. For android, click here. For mac click here.
- You’ll need internet speeds of at least 1.5 Mbps bandwidth. You can check your internet speed by clicking here.
- For more detailed specs list, troubleshooting and for specific restrictions, see the WSET website on this page here.
Make sure you use personal devices. Work devices may have restrictions that won't allow the ProctorExam to work.
Secondary devices not supported during your exam are the Google Pixel series, Huawei P30 series, Huawei Y9S and the Samsung Galaxy A3.
Students in the United Arab Emirates and in China will not be able to sit the RI exam due to country restrictions.
A system check should be completed 10 days before your exam
- Add examsnoreply@wsetglobal to your approved email sender list within your email account.
- You will receive an email from WSET 10 days before your exam to conduct a systems check and make sure all is well. Complete the systems check immediately after receiving the email from WSET. This way, if you run into problems, we can rebook the exam without charging you any extra fees (giving you time to address the system issues, for example). Otherwise, there may be a rebooking fee for you to take the exam.
- If you don’t conduct the systems check, you will receive an email 3 days before your exam to remind you!
- You’ll also receive an email link to your exam 3 days before.
- If you don’t receive the link to your exam, check your spam folder. If still not found, email email@example.com immediately, fill out this form and submit it to WSET.